Friday, December 17, 2010

5 on Friday

Hold on to your pants people, we got a lot of ground and sweets to cover here.

1. Cookie Cut-outs. Tradition. This is one of many. It just wouldn't seem like Christmas without making Christmas Cookie cut-outs with the kids. I grew up doing this with my mom and sisters and it is one I will continue doing with my kids. Its the one time I try really, really hard not to get so picky on how they are cutting the cookies out. I gave them each a hunk of dough and they went at it. They got to decorate their cookies too and eat them ( because if you had seen them, you wouldn't have wanted them either- so many sprinkles and layers upon layers of frosting!) But they had a blast and so did I:)






2. We still try to carry on the tradition of making cookies with my mom and sisters every year.
This year it was at my sisters house and bake, bake, bake we did. So many goodies and sweets we felt sick from looking at them all. We had so much fun laughing and tasting everyones cookies and candies.The only thing that was missing was my sister, Jessica, she had to work and couldn't make it. I love spending time with my mom and learning from her. She is one of my bestest friends. I love that woman and have always wanted to be like her. Just look at her- what a babe:)








3. Gingerbread House Party.
This year was the second annual Gingerbread House Party. I organized this party and had so much fun doing it. A bunch of our friends came and each family had a "house" to decorate their ownIt was really fun to see all the kids (and moms when the kids got tired of doing it;) creativity in how they decorated their houses with tons and tons of candy.















4. Snow, snow, snow....
It can be a love/hate relationship.
It's not fun to drive in. We get stuck in it. We get snowed in our house. It's cold. It makes for a lot more work for Ben.
but.....


It


is


Breathtaking!


And so worth it:)

5.I just thought I'd share our favorite
 Christmas Cookie Cut-out recipe.


Old Fashioned Sour Cream Cookies

1/2 c. butter
1 c. sugar
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
2 2/3 c. flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. nutmeg (optional)
1/2 c sour cream
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cream butter, sugar,egg and vanilla together until smooth.
In another bowl, mix together dry ingredients.
Alternating the sour cream and flour mix add gradually to butter/sugar mix.
Cover and refrigerate for a few hours.
Roll out to 1/4 inch thickness and cut out with cookie cutters.
Bake at 350* for 8-10 minutes. Frost when cool.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You will probably want to double the recipe. I usually do and sometimes triple it.
I hope you enjoy this recipe. It is so yummy and the cookies are nice and soft. Delicious with a glass of milk or a cup of coffee.

2 comments:

  1. Looks and sounds like you have been very busy as always. The gingerbread houses look awesome..such fun! Aidyn and I just mixed up a batch of those roll out cookies this morning and after nap time we will be making quite a mess in the kitchen. It was snowing again here this morning but has stopped now. I guess I would rather it snowed then it being so cold the kids can't really go outside and I don't want to step out for one minute.

    Great pics Joy! XX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! Your cookies are beautiful and what a fun tradition you have with your kids and family! I can't wait for the days when my girls and I get back together to bake for the holidays. We love baking as a family but only Andrea shares the cookie decorating talent with you all!:) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete